Butternut Valley Grange No 1533 - Station and Chair

Butternut Valley Grange No 1533 -  Station and Chair - The Farmers' Museum
Creator: 
Title: 
Butternut Valley Grange No 1533 - Station and Chair
Date: 
Identifier: 
F0005.2011(38)
Description: 
Photographic Print. Image is an interior detail of the Butternut Valley Grange No 1533 located in Gilbertsville, New York. The image shows a station and press back chair. This station was made by Clifford Wilber. The station cover has BUTTERNUT VALLEY GRANGE NO. 1533 embroidered onto it. The Butternut Valley Grange No. 1533 was organized on May, 14, 1934 with twenty-nine charter members. It was named for the Butternut Creek, and that the location of the Grange in the 1800s was the Town of Butternuts (Morris and Gilbertsville combined). The towns were separated in 1849 and at the time Gilbertsville was known as Butternuts. Butternut trees are also prevalant in the area. In 1935, the first Grange Hall building was purchased from Edwin Holden, and was paid for within five years. This building was used until 1951 when the Grange bought the Town Hall on Bloom Street (the former Presbyterian Church). (This information was adapted from "Otsego County Pomona Grange: The History of Otsego County Granges," published in 1972 by the Otsego County Pomona Grange). On the reverse of the photograph is handwritten: STATION AND CHAIR/BUTTERNUT VALLEY GRANGE # 1533/GILBERTSVILLE, NY/2001/ANDY BAUGNET.
Physical dimensions: 
print size 8" X 10"